Carpet Flooring - What to Expect
Thank you for contacting Phillips’ Floors, Inc. for your flooring estimate. After your measurement is complete, your salesperson will complete a quote for your review. Outlined below is important information about the installation process. It will help you understand what to expect before, during, and after your installation project.
Scope of Work:
• Phillips’ Floors, Inc. does not install carpet over old pad, because it voids the warranty on the new carpet.
• Seam placement must be discussed and finalized during the measurement. Seams are not invisible. Berber/loop styles will have seams that are easier to see. Carpet is normally available in 12’ or 15’ widths. Customers are able to directly affect the number, type, and placement of seams by the amount of carpet and the width of carpet they elect to purchase. Typically having fewer seams requires purchasing more carpet. Typically, fewer seams equals more carpet waste.
• Pattern carpet requires additional product for the pattern and additional labor charges to perform the match. Different manufacturers have different tolerances for bow and skew (the pattern bending back and forth), but up to as much as 2”-3” can be considered acceptable.
• Tack strip is normally reused. (Re-nailing as necessary and replacement of a small number of tack strips is included.)
• Interior doors may need to be trimmed after new flooring is installed. This service is available for an additional charge and may not be determined until installation is completed. Metal doors cannot be trimmed by Phillips’ Floors, Inc.
• Please advise Phillips’ Floors, Inc. of any previous floor issues such as water leaks or damage.
• Unforeseen circumstances discovered once installation begins such as damaged subfloor, wet subfloor, pet urine soaked carpet, insect infested carpet, unlevel/uneven subfloors, or termite damage can cause additional charges which must be approved by the customer and can be included in your final billing.
• Phillips’ Floors, Inc. does not move furniture unless specified in the estimate at customer’s request.
• Installers cannot move certain items such as antiques, electronics, pianos, pool tables, waterbeds, aquariums, safes, pin ball machines, exercise equipment, etc. Many of these items need to be professionally moved. Installers also cannot be responsible for moving valuables, cloths, dishes, wall hangings, and other small miscellaneous items.
• Additional charges may apply for moving excessive or oversized furniture. These charges will be included in your estimate if furniture moving is requested.
Prior to Day of Install:
• Make arrangements to have your furniture moved and existing flooring torn out and removed from all rooms receiving new carpeting prior to the day of installation, unless you have agreed to have these optional services done by Phillips’ Floors, Inc.
• The area to receive new flooring must have climate control, power, and adequate lighting a minimum of 48 hours before and after installation (windows must remain closed with air conditioning or heating system on and set to 72 degrees).
• Delivery of products may be necessary and can occur up to five (5) days prior to the start date. The products must be placed in either the area in which the work will be performed or near the area (cannot be placed in a garage).
• Unplug all items, disconnect and remove all electronics (computers, stereos, large screen TVs, VCR, DVD, etc).
• Empty closet floors up to 3 feet high, remove items under beds, bed coverings, lamps, knick-knacks, fragile, high value, sentimental value items and antiques.
• Remove glassware from china cabinets, remove books from freestanding bookcases and pictures from walls.
• If there are pet soiled areas, the customer must have them cleaned prior to the installation.
Day of Install:
• The installer will move furniture, tear out and haul away your existing flooring, if you have agreed to have these optional services done. If not, you will need to make arrangements to have this done prior to the day of installation.
• Phillips’ Floors, Inc. would prefer that an adult (18 years or older) be present for both the estimate and installation.
• Identify for the installer any wiring (may be hidden behind moldings) in the new flooring area (alarm, monitoring systems, etc).
• Let installer know if you would like to keep the existing flooring (if possible) and where to put it.
• Please ensure children and pets are not in the installation area during the installation.
• Potential exists for minor scuffing of baseboards/walls. (Note: Scuffing will be worse with new paint.) Repairs to these areas are the responsibility of the homeowner.
• The installer will vacuum the carpet after installation is completed. This service may not be included in new construction (please verify with your salesperson). Depending on the construction of the carpet, there will still be carpet fibers vacuumed up after the initial vacuuming. This may still occur after multiple times of vacuuming.
We look forward to serving you and will strive to exceed you expectations. If you have any concerns with your new flooring please contact our office at (515) 961-7300. You will receive a survey card with your final billing asking you to rate your salesperson, craftsmanship, and professionalism of the installers. Please take a few minutes to give us your feedback so that we can continue providing our customers with the best possible service. Thank you!